News from BobZ
  • Because happypenguin.org is shutting down on April 13th, I'm going to make a backup here of the announcements that BobZ made here and here. This in no way implies ownership or authorship, and is simply an attempt to make sure the information isn't lost.
    I'm the forum admin. Email me at jakimfett@picraft.com if you can't PM me for some reason.
    PHP/HTML/Javascript/CSS/MySQL/Apache2 Web Developer
    IRC, Twitter: jakimfett
    Gametome Project on GitHub
  • The End is Nigh
    Posted by bobz, 25 Mar 13 19:25 

Hi folks,
    The Linux Game Tome will shut down on April 13. Those of us who have maintained happypenguin.org over the years now lack both the time and the ambition to do what is necessary to keep the site afloat. If you've been paying attention, you've noticed the spam clogging the forums, the lack of updates and the increasing brokenness of the site. The code driving this site, written by a novice web developer in 1999, is sorely out of date. It's time to put it out of its misery.

If the community misses this resource, I urge it to build The Linux Game Tome v3.0.

If such an effort ever came to fruition and publicly pledged to remain free and not for profit, I would be delighted to transfer ownership of the happypenguin.org domain. Sometime soon, I'll make available a dump of the Game Tome games database (minus user information) that anyone may use for any purpose they'd like, including building a successor site.

Before you ask: no, you may not have a copy of the site code. It is not fit for human consumption. Even as a reference, it can only corrupt.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the site over the years, either as moderators, contributors or benefactors.
    bobz
    I'm the forum admin. Email me at jakimfett@picraft.com if you can't PM me for some reason.
  • The End Is Nigh-er          
    Posted by bobz on 7 Apr 13 18:01
    As promised, I've produced an extract of the Linux Game Tome database and placed it in the public domain. You can download it here: http://happypenguin.org/html/happypenguin_dump.tar.bz2

To everyone who is expressing interest in helping to continue The Linux Game Tome: thank you! But don't tell me, tell the community! After this site is shut down, I will walk away from it. I have no plans to be involved in any effort to continue the Linux Game Tome legacy. If you are interested in continuing the legacy, please organize and make it happen.

Should you wish to contact me for any reason, please use email: bobz@mr.net. I don't visit this very often, and it won't be around much longer anyway.

Bob

Note from jakimfett: The database dump is also available here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion